Sunday, September 30, 2012

Goodbye Summer.

Tomorrow is October 1st. Now I do realize that Autumn has already officially begun however, for me, it suddenly felt real today. Today I bought apples. I made acorn squash for the first time. I painted my nails orange and threw away the sandals I've been wearing for the last two spring and summers. I sat on the couch in my dining room with the sun shining in and the Fall colors peeking through this morning and realized Summer was gone.


Ben Howard- Old Pine

I wanted to say thank you Summer, for allowing me to chase the sky on more than one occasion. For giving me this song as an anthem, for camping trips and long car rides. These last few months I got sunburnt way more than was probably healthy. I cut off all my hair. I was promoted. I fell in love. I was inspired, daily. I started a project that has changed the way I think about a lot of things; myself, my work, this city.

Summer is a season that leaves you feeling raw and exposed. There is no covering up, no hiding away, curled up under a blanket. Summer is hot and sticky, a season known for the extremes and this one was no exception. I watched a few great people make a commitment forever to the people that they love. I read some new books and accomplished a few small goals. I cried a lot. I talked to God more than ever.

And now Summer is leaving. No more sundresses with bare legs, soon to be replaced with sweaters and tights. I do realize that plenty of the last few months will be with me forever. Memories and lessons learned will stay like the ice cream stains on one of my favorite dresses. I'll always have the necklace he gave me, the photos of days at the lake and nights out with the girls, the music playlists on my iPod.

And with all that remains much, unfortunately, will not. The tan skin will fade and I'll lose the sun highlights in my hair. I'll put away the purple blanket I carry in my car for impromptu picnics or beach trips. I'll close my windows and embrace the change in seasons. Some things, like Summer, you can't hold on to forever. Sometimes, you just have to force yourself to say goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment