Saturday, July 23, 2011

Half Broke Horses

While I was in Bear Lake I was able to finish the book I was currently reading, Never Let Me Go. Silly me, knowing how much I read when I'm on vacation, should have brought another book. In a way I'm glad I didn't because I ended up borrowing this one from my friend and absolutely loved it.


I have read Jeannette Walls, The Glass Castle, and thought it was very well-written. However, I actually liked Half Broke Horses more. In this particular book Walls writes from the perspective of her Grandmother, Lily. The book is comprised of numerous short chapters which read almost as individual chapters in her life. In addition to making me want to up and leave Michigan, move down south and learn to become a rancher, this book reminded me of one of the most amazing women in my life, my Grandmother. The tidbits of advice hidden in the pages reminded me of almost every conversation we seem to have these days. In fact she almost ends every phone call saying "Well that's enough lecturing for now" The truth is I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact I really ought to start writing everything she says down...maybe I'll start.

No comments:

Post a Comment