Saturday, September 17, 2011

The story behind the name.

In honor of my little blog re-design today, I figured I could do a little update "intro" entry and explain where my blog name came from.

This past May it seemed that all my hard work for the past four years paid off and I was able to walk across that stage (without tripping..shocker!) and received my college diploma. But trust me the journey was rough. As an art major I struggled, such as many other creative types, to find my "voice" amongst so many other talented individuals. It wasn't until my Introduction to Printmaking class that a very wise professor made me realize that we weren't there to learn to be cookie-cutter style prototypes, we were there to embrace individualism. I happened to be having a rough week, due to the fact I was receiving a lot of criticism from a design professor at the time, telling me to stop illustrating and start designing more. I didn't understand this at the time. I felt I was coming up with good solutions to the problems at hand and was able to do what I loved at the same time. I have since then grown from the experience and understood later what I was struggling realize then. However, something that professor did that day stuck with me. He took me to the chalkboard and drew for me a small diagram that looked something like this:

then he pointed in the middle, he said,
"And perhaps here is where you are, somewhere in-between."

Since then I have been able to apply this little saying to so many other parts of my life. I've been blogging for a little over a year now and feel the name still fits. I'm no longer a student, now a "creative professional", struggling to make it in a small but busy city. This world has a lot to offer and I'm smack dab in the middle of it (and couldn't be more excited). So here I am, doing what I still love and trying my best to document all the little "in-betweens" along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment