Friday, January 20, 2012

Feeling sickly.

Being sick is never fun. And that's what I've been this week: sick.

I really don't like to complain or whine, or lie on the couch all day feeling sorry for myself but I'm not going to lie...that's basically all I've done since last Sunday. The sore throat, sneezing, phlegm everywhere, ugh..not to mention looking completely awful for days. I suppose I should chalk it up to the fact that getting sick is your body telling you to slow the heck down. Unfortunately, after just returning from a little 4 day vacation, now was really not the time to take a week off.

I think one thing that really bothers me is being sick makes me feel vulnerable. Lying in bed unable to sleep or breathe just makes you secretly wish someone will bring you soup, curl up next to you, and make it all go away. Obviously not something you can ask for and summon up out of nowhere. It's a reminder that sometimes you have to let people help you, something I'm not always good with. Sure, I have colleagues I can always seek out for opinions when it comes to my current design project or friends who will always listen to my relationship dilemmas (or lack thereof haha) But asking your roommate to make you tea, or telling your boss that yes you would rather her let you go home than stay and finish your shift can be difficult. It takes you admitting that you're in a weakened state, which I'll be the first to admit isn't always easy. However, I can recognize that admitting that sometimes you feel slightly knocked down is necessary to pick yourself back up again and just like everything else in life, sometimes you need to ask for help. I just feel lucky I have people who will answer the call.

Now just to get better...I don't know how much more couch time or bad television I can continue to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment