Thursday, January 26, 2012

Why I need my kitten just as much as she needs me.

I'll be honest, I've got a care-taker personality. I like being someone my friends can come to if they need a ride to the hospital or someone to make them soup when they're sick. But other than myself, I've never had to be 100% responsible for the well-being of another living thing.


Until this little one came into my life.

Now I don't want to be one of those people who talks about their pets as if they're human, because they most certainly are not. The funny thing though, is how often I find myself being so incredibly glad she's around. I promise I'm not a crazy cat lady, yet, and I do have a lot of people to share my life with. But coming home and knowing some tiny thing is there waiting for you is one of the best feelings. It wasn't until the other day when I was feeling slightly blue and picked her up for a good squeeze that I realized ho much she needs me. She depends on me to feed her, and pet her, and make sure she hasn't gone and gotten herself stuck on the top case of my bookshelf with no way down. When I adopted Bean my Mom told me she thought it wasn't the most responsible thing I could have done at the moment, considering I didn't have a stable place to live at the time, and was quite broke. Then she followed up by saying she thought maybe it was something I needed. She was right.

My kitten cures my loneliness. She makes me laugh and smile. When she cries if I leave the room I get the overwhelming feeling to rush back to her and pick her up. It was the other day, when I was feeling down, that I realized how much I would miss her if she suddenly wasn't around. Sometimes it makes me wonder which one of us needs the other more.

No comments:

Post a Comment